U.S. Rep. Rose Releases Statement on Israel Supplemental

Washington, DC—Today, after U.S. Representative John Rose (TN-06) voted ‘Yes’ on H.R. 7217, the “Israel Security Supplemental Appropriations Act,” he released the following statement:

“As a strong supporter of Israel, our greatest ally in the Middle East, I remain committed to equipping and providing them with the much-needed military assistance to destroy Hamas,” said Rep. Rose. “As Speaker Johnson said previously, ‘It is more important to protect Israel than to hire more IRS agents’ and ‘Instead of printing new dollars or borrowing it from another nation to send over to fulfill our obligations and help our ally, we want to pay for it. What a concept.’ I completely agree with the need to pay for foreign aid packages like this without taking on new debt, and I am disappointed the bill voted on today does not include any offsets. I am even more upset at the Senate’s inaction and desire to prioritize funding an army of IRS agents instead of our ally Israel.”

Background:

On November 2, 2023, Rep. Rose voted ‘Yes’ on H.R. 6216, the “Israel Security Supplemental Appropriations Act,” which passed the House by a vote of 216 to 196. The bill provides $14.3 billion in emergency supplemental appropriations to provide military assistance to Israel and was fully offset by using funds from the so-called Inflation Reduction Act.

Rep. Rose delivered a speech on the House Floor in support of the House-passed, $14.3 billion “Israel Supplemental Security Act” or H.R. 6216. Watch here.

Since then, the Senate has refused to take action on the House-passed Israel supplemental bill with fully funded offsets and instead has prioritized a separate $118 billion bill that includes funding for Ukraine, Gaza, the Indo-Pacific, and immigration with no offsets.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://johnrose.house.gov/media/press-releases/us-rep-rose-releases-statement-israel-supplemental