State Rep. Rusty Grills working to find solutions for families impacted by stolen SNAP, Families First funds

NASHVILLE, Tenn. — State Rep. Rusty Grills, R-Newbern, is working with state officials to address ongoing Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT) theft in West Tennessee.

Multiple local families have reported stolen Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) and Families First funding over the last several weeks. Some of the common types of benefit theft are card skimming and phishing. 

“It is incredibly disheartening that scammers and thieves have turned to preying on families in need,” Grills said. “I am working with the Tennessee Department of Human Services (TDHS) to see what can be done to help impacted families get their funds back as quick as possible. For now, I recommend any family who believe their funds have been stolen to file a police report and submit a claim with TDHS. I hope we can get this resolved quickly and efficiently.” 

TDHS asks impacted families to report the theft and fraud on their website here.

Families First, Tennessee’s Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) program, helps participants reach the goal of self-sufficiency by providing temporary cash assistance, transportation, child care assistance, educational supports, job training, employment activities and other support services.

For more on Families First and eligibility information, visit the TDHS website here.

Impacted families are encouraged to reach out to Rep. Grills at rep.rusty.grills@capitol.tn.gov if they have any questions or concerns.

Rusty Grills represents District 77 which includes Dyer, Lake and part of Obion Counties.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://tnhousegop.org/state-rep-rusty-grills-working-to-find-solutions-for-families-impacted-by-stolen-snap-families-first-funds/