State Rep. Mary Littleton appointed to serve on Domestic Violence State Coordinating Council

NASHVILLE, Tenn. — State Rep. Mary Littleton, R-Dickson, announced Tuesday her appointment to serve on the Domestic Violence State Coordinating Council (DVSCC).

Littleton was appointed to the council by House Speaker Cameron Sexton, R-Crossville, to help in the effort to end domestic and sexual violence in Tennessee.

“Thousands of Tennesseans are affected by domestic violence every year,” Littleton said. “It’s one of my top priorities as a state representative to do what I can to put an end to the violence. I’m honored to have the opportunity to improve policies that will better serve survivors and to help rehabilitate offenders.”

Littleton has worked tirelessly during her time in the General Assembly passing legislation to improve the lives of children in foster care and support victims of crimes.

“Mary Littleton has been one of the legislature’s strongest voices for victim’s rights and protecting those who can’t protect themselves,” Sexton said. “I’m confident she will represent the General Assembly in this role with honor and dedication as she always has.”

In March, House Bill 2168, sponsored by Littleton, was unanimously approved by the General Assembly and requires that an order of protection for domestic abuse allegations remains in effect during the appeal process, unless the order expires by operation of the law. 

The council was created in 1995 to develop model policies and training curriculums for law enforcement agencies, the courts, and rules and certification for batterers’ intervention programs (BIPS), according to their website.

The DVSCC is a part of the Tennessee Coalition to End Domestic and Sexual Violence which provides resources and support to survivors, but also works in public policy advocacy, educational programming and activities to address such violence. 

Littleton’s term begins immediately and her first meeting will be on September 13. For more information on the council and Coalition, visit their website here.    

If you or someone you know is experiencing domestic violence or needs help, call the 24-hour state-wide Domestic Violence Hotline at 1-800-356-6767.

Mary Littleton represents District 78 which includes Cheatham and part of Dickson Counties. She serves as Chairwoman of the Children & Family Affairs Subcommittee. She is also a member of the Civil Justice Committee, Government Operations Committee, State Government Committee, Departments & Agencies Subcommittee, Fiscal Review Joint Committee and the Joint Education, Health and General Welfare Committee.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://tnhousegop.org/state-rep-mary-littleton-appointed-to-serve-on-domestic-violence-state-coordinating-council/