Rep. Rose Speaks in Support of Separation of Powers Restoration Act of 2023

Washington, DC—U.S. Representative John Rose (TN-06) took to the House Floor Thursday to speak in support of H.R. 288, the Separation of Powers Restoration Act of 2023. The legislation would modify the scope of judicial review of federal agency actions and allow courts to determine the constitutionality of an agency action, including whether it was made within their statutory authority.

The full remarks, as prepared for delivery, are below:

Madam Speaker, the Constitution is clear: the people’s elected representatives, Congress, have the power to legislate, and the courts have judicial authority.

Unfortunately, in recent years those powers have been diluted by overarching and unelected administrative branch bureaucrats that believe they are the sole arbiters when it comes to administering policies—not the American people through their representatives.

Regardless of which political party is in office, both Republicans and Democrats alike should be concerned about willfully giving away their constituents’ voices when deciding pressing matters.

The Separation of Powers Restoration Act, which I am proud to support, would restore a separate but equal government our founding fathers intended and give the American people and their representatives the capacity to make policy back.

This is as common sense as it gets and should draw wide bipartisan support. I urge all members to join me in voting ‘Yes’ on H.R. 288.

You can watch the full speech here.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://johnrose.house.gov/media/press-releases/rep-rose-speaks-support-separation-powers-restoration-act-2023