Rep. Rose on Ongoing Inflation: “We Don’t Have a Revenue Problem. We Have a Spending Problem.”

WASHINGTON, DC—U.S. Representative John Rose (TN-06) spoke on the House Floor Tuesday to address continued rising consumer prices and the need for fiscal discipline in the months ahead.

The full remarks, as prepared for delivery, are below:

Madam Speaker, prices continue to climb due to the economic policies of the Biden Administration. The latest Consumer Price Index report was up 3.4% from last year.

I rise in support of the hardworking families I represent, who are making hard choices to stay afloat. If they’re having to tighten their belts, the federal government should do the same.

We don’t have a revenue problem in this country. We have a spending problem.

In Fiscal Year 2022, the federal government collected $850 billion more in tax revenue than the year before. Yet, the federal government spent $1.4 trillion more than we brought in. And in Fiscal Year 2023, the government spent $1.7 trillion more than it collected.

That’s just one of many reasons why I am opposed to the President’s $7.3 trillion budget. We cannot continue spending money we don’t have.

You can watch the speech here.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://johnrose.house.gov/media/press-releases/rep-rose-ongoing-inflation-we-dont-have-revenue-problem-we-have-spending