Rep. Rose Honors Fallen Macon County Sergeant on House Floor

WASHINGTON, DC—Thursday, U.S. Representative John Rose (TN-06) honored the life of a fallen officer on the House Floor.

The full remarks, as prepared for delivery, are below:

Mister Speaker, I rise today to remember a fallen officer from Tennessee: Sergeant William Cherry of the Macon County Sheriff’s Office.

Sgt. Cherry passed away following a head-on collision that occurred while he was conducting a routine patrol on July 29, 2023.

Those who worked alongside him describe the sergeant as a leader and mentor. They say he wore the badge with honor and that he truly carried out his oath as a law enforcement officer.

Sgt. Cherry cared deeply about protecting his community, especially protecting children from potential harm. The outpouring of support shown to his family since his passing is a testament to his impact on the community he cared so much about – an impact that will be felt for some time.

We lost a truly dedicated public servant and a great example of what it means to be a Tennessean.

Mister Speaker, I extend my deepest condolences to his wife and daughter.

You can watch the full remarks here.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://johnrose.house.gov/media/press-releases/rep-rose-honors-fallen-macon-county-sergeant-house-floor