Rep. Rose Criticizes Biden Admin for ‘War Against American Energy’

WASHINGTON, DC—U.S. Representative John Rose (TN-06) spoke on the House Floor Thursday to highlight the energy policies of the Biden Administration and their impact on working families. He also spoke in support of the Unlocking our Domestic LNG Potential Act.

The full remarks, as prepared for delivery, are below:

Madam Speaker, since stepping inside the Oval Office, President Biden has waged war against American energy. This costly campaign against American energy producers, workers, and consumers has caused prices to skyrocket for almost everything. Now, signaling his dedication and unwavering support to Green New Deal activists instead of everyday hardworking Americans, President Biden has paused all pending approvals of liquified natural gas (or LNG) terminals.

His reason for doing so, he claims, is the so-called ‘climate crisis,’ which he goes on to say is the “existential threat of our time.” Well, Madam Speaker, to the hard-working folks of Tennessee, the existential crisis of our time is putting food on the table and keeping the lights on, which have become far more difficult under President Biden and his administration’s anti-energy policies.

Thankfully, House Republicans have taken action. Last year, we passed the “Lower Energy Costs Act,” which would unleash America’s energy dominance and bring back our energy independence by reforming the permitting process and cutting bureaucratic red tape to help drive down costs for Americans.

Instead of joining Republicans in this commonsense approach to increasing energy production and lowering costs for all Americans, President Biden has instead chosen to raid the Strategic Petroleum Reserve and beg foreign dictators to increase their energy production when we have what we need right here at home. The United States of America shouldn’t have to rely on foreign dictators for our energy needs. And that’s exactly what banning LNG exports will lead to.  

That’s just one of the many reasons why we are continuing our efforts to fight back against President Biden’s war on American energy - this time, by passing the “Unlocking our Domestic LNG Potential Act,” which was introduced by the gentleman from Texas, Mr. Pfluger.

This bill is simple: it reverses President Biden’s latest attack on the American energy industry by reversing his decision to ban American LNG exports.

American LNG helps strengthen our economy, reduces worldwide emissions, and provides security to our nation and our allies. According to the American Petroleum Institute, increasing LNG exports could add as much as $73 billion to the U.S. economy and upwards of 453,000 American jobs by 2040.

Additionally, more than 87% of LNG exports in December 2023 went to the European Union, United Kingdom, or Asian markets. Without a doubt, American LNG helped reduce natural gas prices in Europe by over 83% from 2022 levels following Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.

Madam Speaker, I urge my colleagues on both sides of the aisle to join me in voting ‘Yes’ on H.R. 7176, the “Unlocking our Domestic LNG Potential Act” to ensure American energy leadership and security.  This bill is a commonsense approach to increasing our energy production and lowering costs for all Americans.

I am proud to support its passage and will always fight against President Biden’s war on American energy and the energy needs of the American people. With that, I yield back.

You can watch the full speech here.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://johnrose.house.gov/media/press-releases/rep-rose-criticizes-biden-admin-war-against-american-energy