Rep. Rose Condemns Use of Public Schools for Housing Illegal Immigrants

Washington, DC—U.S. Representative John Rose spoke on the House Floor Tuesday night to condemn the Biden Administration for the record number of illegal immigrants crossing the U.S. southern border, and to urge House colleagues to vote to condemn the use of public schools to house illegal immigrants.

The full remarks, as prepared for delivery, are below:

Mister Speaker, President Biden’s and Secretary Mayorkas’ mishandling of our southern border has made every state—including my home state of Tennessee—a border state. Now, illegal immigrants are being housed in public schools, threatening our children’s ability to learn.

House Republicans are denouncing this heinous action by passing House Resolution 461, which condemns the use of public-school facilities to house illegal immigrants.

Housing illegal immigrants at public schools divert resources from students already suffering from historic learning loss. Additionally, schools with summer programs or activities will now be forced to consider the additional security threat housing illegal immigrants at their facilities poses.

Mister Speaker, if the Biden Administration would work with Republicans to secure the border—this wouldn’t be happening. But since it is, we must condemn it, which is why I urge Members to join me in supporting House Resolution 461.

You can watch the full speech here.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://johnrose.house.gov/media/press-releases/rep-rose-condemns-use-public-schools-housing-illegal-immigrants