Rep. Ogles Applauds Tennessee General Assembly Bill To Arm Teachers

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Wednesday, April 10th, 2024

REP. OGLES APPLAUDS TENNESSEE GENERAL ASSEMBLY BILL TO ARM TEACHERS

NASHVILLE, TN - On Tuesday, the Tennessee Senate passed a bill to allow trained and authorized teachers to carry concealed firearms on school campuses. The passage of this legislation comes shortly after the one-year anniversary of the deadly Covenant School shooting in Nashville.

“I applaud the Tennessee Senate for taking steps to harden and secure our schools. This legislation gives teachers who desire to concealed carry the ability to do so after they meet certain requirements. For example, any teacher wishing to concealed carry in the classroom must have a handgun carry permit, written authorization from school administrators and law enforcement officials, and complete at least 40 hours of firearm instruction. This is the type of responsible and reasonable action states all over the country should be taking,” said Congressman Ogles

“I’ve introduced the TEACH (Teachers Empowered Against Classroom Harm)Act in the federal level to accomplish the same goal of expanding access to firearms for educators. The horrific tragedy of school shootings has not been defeated by making schools soft targets, in part because we will never be able to ban the intentions of evil people. Instead, we can allow responsible educators to equip themselves in order to protect their classrooms. Again, I applaud the work of the Tennessee General Assembly to make our students, educators, and classrooms safer.”

# # #

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://ogles.house.gov/media/press-releases/rep-ogles-applauds-tennessee-general-assembly-bill-arm-teachers