Rep. Mark Green Honors Captain Larry Taylor

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Rep. Mark Green Honors Captain Larry Taylor

WASHINGTON—Today, on the 56th anniversary of Captain Larry Taylor’s heroic acts in the Vietnam War, Rep. Mark Green stated: 

“Warriors like Captain Larry Taylor make us all proud to be Americans—and grateful for what our men and women in uniform have done to keep us safe and preserve our freedom. Captain Taylor’s decision to save his fellow soldiers is what putting on the uniform is all about. Captain Taylor embodied the soldier’s creed, ‘I will never leave a fallen comrade.’

“While flying the AH-1G Cobra, a brand new helicopter, Captain Taylor risked his life under enemy fire, not even knowing if the rescue he was attempting was possible. 

“I commend Fort Novosel for recognizing Captain Taylor’s tremendous bravery and unbridled courage. Our nation needs heroes now more than ever. I hope that highlighting true patriots like Captain Taylor will encourage our next generation to do what it takes to defend freedom.”

Read excerpts from a statement honoring Captain Taylor, introduced into the Congressional Record by Rep. Green:

[Captain Taylor] qualified as an Army Aviator assigned to the 1st Squadron, 4th Cavalry, 1st Infantry Division, where he completed over 2,000 combat missions as a helicopter pilot. One particularly dangerous mission illustrated the deep reservoir of bravery that was a hallmark of Captain Taylor’s career. 

In 1968, while deployed in Vietnam, Captain Taylor came to the aid of a Long Range Reconnaissance Patrol under immense enemy fire, evacuating them from far behind enemy lines in the dead of night. Captain Taylor was only ordered to lend fire support to the patrol; however, after expending his entire stock of 152 rockets and 16,000 minigun rounds, it was clear the patrol had no hope of escape. Captain Taylor, realizing immediate air evacuation was the patrol’s only hope, disobeyed direct orders to fall back and instead landed in the dark jungle to extract the patrol himself. His Cobra attack helicopter flew the entire patrol—clinging to the rocket pods and helicopter skids—to safety.  

Captain Taylor’s act of bravery over 50 years ago remains a valiant icon to Army aviators. In September of 2023, Captain Taylor was awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor for his act of heroism. Yet, when Captain Taylor was informed by the President of the United States that he was to receive the Medal of Honor, the Captain humbly replied, “I thought you had to do something to receive a Medal of Honor.”

Captain Taylor’s life is a testament to duty and excellence in action, and it is with the greatest honor and respect that I commend his induction as part of the newest class of the Army Aviation Hall of Fame and humbly remember his bravery.

Read the full statement here

Background: Captain Larry Taylor was inducted into the Army Aviation Hall of Fame in April 2024. His portrait was hung at the entrance of the United States Aviation Center of Excellence Building at Fort Novosel in March 2024. He also received the Congressional Medal of Honor on September 5, 2023. Lastly, Rep. Green introduced a Congressional Resolution on his behalf on March 21st, 2024.

###

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://markgreen.house.gov/2024/6/rep-mark-green-honors-captain-larry-taylor