Ogles Votes ‘Nay’ On Motion To Vacate

WASHINGTON, DC - Congressman Andy Ogles (TN-05) issued the following statement regarding his ‘nay’ vote on the motion to vacate former House Speaker Kevin McCarthy (CA-20):

“Last week, we watched House leadership force through a 45-day CR that continued out-of-control spending in Washington. We have had months to pass 12 appropriations bills and fund the government through regular order. I did not come to Washington to do business as usual. I came here to represent the people of Tennessee’s Fifth District diligently and with wisdom,”said Congressman Ogles.

“Right now, we are in the middle of a battle to get the government funded. I fear vacating the Speaker would be premature and risk another bloated CR in November. I share the frustrations and disappointment surrounding McCarthy’s leadership. However, I cannot, in good conscience, act rashly and without proper consideration of the consequences. A team might fire a coach at the end of the season but would not do it mid-game. I think House Republicans are in a similar position; the game we need to win right now is funding the government through regular order. What happens after we secure this win for the American People is still up for debate, but at this moment, I am focused on achieving victory for my constituents and the country.”

The motion passed the House by a margin of 216-210, and McCarthy was removed from his position as Speaker of the House of Representatives. Congressman Patrick McHenry (NC-10) has been appointed Speaker Pro Tempore.

# # #

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://ogles.house.gov/media/press-releases/ogles-votes-nay-motion-vacate