Hawkins County Chamber of Commerce honors Governor Volunteer Stars Award winners

ROGERSVILLE — The Rogersville/Hawkins County Chamber of Commerce announced and recognized the 2023 youth and adult Governor’s Volunteer Star Award winners on Thursday.

The GVSA is presented to the county’s best youth and adult volunteers each year. They are then recognized at a ceremony in Nashville. The winners are picked from nominations by the community.

The chamber recognized both winners at its monthly breakfast. Normally, each winner is presented with a plaque, but they were unable to get them in time, so they will be given to the winners at a later date.

Youth Volunteer

The 2023 youth GVSA winner for Hawkins County is Kinslee Mowell. She is a senior at Cherokee High School and wants to become a family nurse practitioner in the future.

Mowell has earned more than 200 clinical hours volunteering at Indian Path Community Hospital, Niswonger Children’s Hospital, Johnson City Medical Center, Hawkins County Memorial Hospital and U-Save Drug Center.

As a part of the Heritage Lites Youth Leadership Program, Mowell has earned 224 community service hours. She has earned an additional 172 hours by volunteering with the chamber to help with events such as cruise-ins, bike night, jeep shows and trunk or treat.

In total, Mowell has completed more than 596 community service hours.

Mowell has also participated in many other volunteer opportunities, including helping at the Hawkins County Humane Society working with animals, assisting in food distributions through Of One Accord Ministry, collecting items for different nonprofits in the county, participating in the Operating Christmas Children and packing shoeboxes.

Mowell has also served as the 2023 Miss Chamber of Commerce, where she exceeded her required monthly office hours.

Sheldon Livesay, Director Of One Accord Ministries, said Mowell is a great representative for the community.

“As a community supporter of the GVSA awards and someone who has attended every awards banquet,” Livesay said. “I can assure you that Kinslee stands shoulder-to-shoulder with the best Tennessee has to offer.”

Adult Volunteer

The 2023 adult GVSA winner for Hawkins County is Pam Mayo. She currently serves as the President of the Board of Directors for the United Way of Hawkins County.

Through her work with the Lion’s Club, Mayo has worked to screen school-age and pre-school- age children for eye problems before they develop and help fund raise through mop and broom sales for the Lion’s School of the Blind and for seeing-eye service dogs.

As a part of Relay for Life, she has raised awareness and funds for cancer research. Mayo also participates in the Business and Professional Women’s Club, which empowers women in business and professional settings.

Through her role as president of United Way, she has helped to raise funds that support many nonprofits in Hawkins County.

“Hawkins County is fortunate to have someone like Pam,” Livesay said, “who offers her selfless service, inspires all she is around and is a true servant leader in our community.”

Mayo said she loves helping others.

“I’m still shocked that I won and very humbled and appreciative,” Mayo said. “I just enjoy my walk as a volunteer and enjoy helping people.”

Mayo said it is important for people to volunteer in their community.

“There is so much that needs to be done,” Mayo said, “and everybody has to come together and help.”

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://harshbarger.house.gov/media/in-the-news/hawkins-county-chamber-commerce-honors-governor-volunteer-stars-award-winners