Burchett introduces bill to ensure VA hospitals have sexual assault nurse examiners

KNOXVILLE, Tenn., (Oct. 18, 2024) – Today, U.S. Congressman Tim Burchett (TN-02) introduced the bipartisan Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner in VA Hospitals (SANE) Act. Democrat Reps. Timothy M. Kennedy (NY-26) and Jared Moskowitz (FL-23) and Republican Reps. Nancy Mace (NC-01) and Anna Paulina Luna (FL-13) are co-sponsors.

This bill would direct the Secretary of Veterans Affairs to ensure that sexual assault nurse examiners are employed at certain Department of Veterans Affairs medical facilities.

“It’s an awful reality that some of our servicemembers are victims of sexual assault, and we need to make sure they get the care they need in those situations. These people put their safety on the line to protect our country, it’s our duty to care for them in return.” said Rep. Burchett.

“VA healthcare must meet the needs of our veterans, especially when it comes to treating and documenting sexual assault,” said Rep. Kennedy. “But far too often, veterans seeking care after sexual assault are turned away. The SANE Act would require at least one practitioner who is qualified to conduct sexual assault forensic examinations at every VA hospital–empowering patients to get the treatment and documentation they need and deserve. This legislation would also direct providers to connect patients with mental health services to help ensure long-term recovery after sexual assault. I applaud Rep. Burchett for his leadership on this issue and call on my colleagues in the House to advance this critical legislation.”

“Our veterans deserve the most comprehensive healthcare possible, and that must include examinations and referrals for those who have been sexually assaulted. This is a critical piece of bipartisan legislation to support survivors who have risked their lives in service to our nation, and we owe it to our heroes to make this a priority.” Said Rep. Moskowitz.

"As a survivor, I know how hard it can be to come forward. Less than half of women in the military trust their chain of command to properly handle reports of sexual assault — and that’s unacceptable. The SANE Act is about fixing this broken system. We’re making sure VA hospitals have the resources and trained professionals survivors need, so women and girls aren’t left to fend for themselves. It’s time we start holding people accountable and ensure no survivor is abandoned by the system." Said Rep. Mace.

"We must ensure that Veterans who have suffered through traumatic sexual violence are heard and receive the support and justice they deserve. I am proud to back Congressman Burchett's legislation to protect their well-being," said Congresswoman Luna. "Nurse examiners who focus on sexual assault victims are crucial in providing the necessary forensic examinations for these survivors. We must guarantee this vital care within our VA medical facilities." Said Rep. Luna.

The full text of the bill can be found here.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://burchett.house.gov/media/press-releases/burchett-introduces-bill-ensure-va-hospitals-have-sexual-assault-nurse